Friday, October 19, 2007

Fan Fiction


As a Star Trek fan, I'll admit that it's crossed my mind to write stories involving characters like Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Dr. McCoy, Scotty, and the rest of the crew. I never did, but throughout my younger years I dreamed of joining the crew of the Enterprise -- "No bloody A, B, C, or D," as Scotty said in the "Reunion" episode of The Next Generation.

Of course, I grew up. Got interested in girls. Found my true love. And generally found myself more interested in writing about the characters springing up in my head, rather than those that already "existed" in television or movie history.

It had never occurred to me that there might be money to make in writing fan fiction, but apparently some people do that sort of thing and it's even becoming respectable. Far be it for me -- an unpublished novelist -- to pooh pooh the works of those who have several books under their belt, expanding the universe of characters I hold dear. Indeed, some writers are able to do quite well in that genre, and there's something to be said for claiming a piece of Captain Picard or Ensign Ro for posterity.

But I'm learning about the people in my head right now. Maybe sometime in the future, I'll worry about those already created.

No comments: