Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Falling Behind My Goals

All of a sudden a week has passed since my last post. Not only that, between a pair of heavily crowded trains on the home-bound commute, a book release that needed to be worked on, and simply being too tired on the way into the city to write, I have been running short of my personal writing goals of 500 words a day.

This is how I fall behind.

Indeed, the best laid plans often go awry. Heck, I barely have time to write this. And this blog post won't come close to 500 words.

Then why write the blog post? In part, because writers must write, despite what life throws in their face. But more importantly, I believe it's worthwhile to share with other writers that it's ok when we don't hit our goals. We get back up and try again. And again. And again.

If you're hitting all your goals so far on day 10 of 2018, I applaud you. I still have time in my day today, so I think I can reach my goal. And I'm aiming to kick butt tomorrow, too.




2 comments:

JeffO said...

I think one of the things I've always been uncomfortable with when it comes to resolutions is the angst and guilt that come with breaking or altering them.

Matt Sinclair said...

True. But some might say that avoiding such guilt is what helps motivate them to meet their goals. Personally, I'd probably have to throw an empty beer can at those people, but we're all motivated by different things. ;-)