Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Having a Day

I'm having an interesting day at work today. So much so that I'm doing my lunch/catch up on social media break about 90 minutes later than usual. What has made it so interesting? I'm, shocked to say, a staff meeting.

We had our first staff meeting of the year, and I actually came out of it feeling excited and eager to tackle some tasks. I don't remember the last time a staff meeting had me feeling that way. To make it more surprising, in part I'm eager to dive into creating an editorial calendar. Not only that, I'm thinking of how I can do the same type of thing on this blog.

I've already committed in my mind to blogging more often and more consistently. But I've been wrestling with the type of thing I suspect most of you struggle with too: what can I say that'll make a difference for other writers?

The truth is, if we writers don't have something to say, then we're probably in the wrong game in the first place. There's lots of things I want to say and do, but whether they'll have an audience is a different -- and at least as important -- thing altogether.

My ideas include conducting and sharing more interviews with authors, maybe editors, maybe agents. They don't have to be people I've published or will publish through Elephant's Bookshelf Press, though this blog is an extension of my company even if the blog came first (and inspired the name of the company.)

But I'd love to hear what you'd like to see here. I know there are at least a couple readers who come here often. Feel free to either share in the comments or send me an email at mwsinclair@gmail.com (or if you have one of my many other email addresses, feel free: communication is what matters) and let me know what else you'd like to see here. I'm aiming to blog at least once every week for the next month or two before making that even more often. But to that end, I'd also like to develop some consistent features, such as interviews or book reviews or posts on what I'm seeing in the publishing world.

So let me know. I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: