Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Fellow Travelers


This book, 1,000 Places to See Before You Die, looks like a fun read. Yes, I'm behind the times, especially when it comes to travel books, but the CNN article about Patricia Schultz made me think that I might actually enjoy putting down one of the works of fiction I recently acquired and do a little travel reading.

However, it's hard to believe she's actually visited 80 percent of the places she writes about -- there's only so much time in a day and days in a year to actually accomplish that with enough enjoyment to describe a place fairly and accurately. Do the math. If I were to visit 800 places that I "must see before I die," I would insist on spending at least one day in each. That's more than two years in these places. Tough publishing schedule, if you ask me.

Even if she squeezes Trenton and Camden, New Jersey, into the same day, she still needs time for Philadelphia.

Be that as it may, I'd pick up the book if I happened into the Strand Bookstore. Now that's a place I'd spend a day in!

No comments: