Thursday, July 05, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Bestseller


In general, I've avoided mentioning Harry Potter on this blog -- not out of any dislike of the stories (which, I sheepishly admit, I've not read, though I have seen most of the movies), but because I've not felt a need to add to the mess. Well, my thoughts are changing now, and this little item from USA Today caught my eye. I like that they interviewed several young readers. One in particular impressed me. Andrew Miller, 15, was asked if he'd be disappointed if Harry Potter died in the final installment.

"I know that J.K. Rowling doesn't like it when an author finishes a series with open characters so that another author could possibly pick up the series and continue with it. I will be very disappointed but will understand if he does die. I guess I will have to see how I really feel if this does happen."

The kid sounds like he's hooked, and if he loved Harry and the other characters, perhaps he'll continue to read other great books and build a lifetime of reading. I'd be honored to have him read my novels when they come out. I'd like to know what he thinks.

No comments: